Thanks to Marvin Yoder for graciously sharing. “I was scheduled to have SS devotions last Sunday. I’ve been thinking about Ps. 23 since it is the school memory passage this month. Here are some of the thoughts I was planning to share.”
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
And I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
The LORD (Yahweh/Jehovah)
- The God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob.
- Met Jacob at Bethel when he was running for his life.
- Appeared to Moses in burning bush and led Israelites from Egypt and through the desert.
The Lord IS . . .
- Without beginning and without end; from eternity past to eternity future
- Self-existing one; the great I AM
- present tense; not was; not will be; right now where I am, when I need Him.
The Lord is MY shepherd.
- That’s personal; yours, too, of course
- Though there may be 100 sheep, He knows me by name.
The Lord is my SHEPHERD.
- He came in person of Jesus who said, “I am the good shepherd.”
- In Heb. 13:20 He is that great Shepherd of the sheep
I shall not want. “Want” = “to lack”
- Not everything I’d like, but everything I need (even during COVID 19).
- Makes me lie down in green pastures of the Word of God.
- Leads me beside still waters of peace in turbulent times.
- Restores my soul when discouraged or defeated.
- “Cast all your care upon Him.”
- Leads me in path of righteousness, i.e. right paths
- Prepares a table before me, avoiding the pitfalls of false teaching and deception.
- Anoints my head with oil, bringing spiritual and physical healing.
- Finally, walks with us through the valley of death.